Friday, April 27, 2007

Printmaking with Helen - Collographs

On the last day we had printmaking, Helen told us we would be expected to have two collographs ready for our next session of printmaking in several weeks time.

Well that day has arrived. Below are the collographs I created. Not all are exactly collographs, but are useful anyway.


This was printed waves first in Ultramarine Blue. Yuk! with the fish overprinted in black. After seeing the blue this lead me to creating a nice indigo blue to continue my printing. The following prints were in indigo.








"Waves"
A relief block carved from cardboard and sealed in shellac.


After the previous effort in the bright blue I started experimenting. This is the first indigo print. The resulting print on the left, which I think is far more pleasing.






"Fish"
I never made another relief print of the fish, however below is an example of some rollings that I did.


Rolling of the fish relief block in a nice murky green.










"Blossom"

This collograph, as with the one directly below, is a Japanese quilting pattern. It is constructed with 120g cardboard glue to a heavier base cardboard and then sealed with shellac.


The resulting print.


And another.











"Arches"

This could easily have been left as a stencil.












"Knit"
This collograph is threaded cardboard glued onto a base and sealed with shellac.

I later used this when making an Artist Book. See a later post.

No comments: